Need A Passport? Get it Faster via DFA’s Passport on Wheels
Looking to apply for a passport? Need to renew? If only the process didn’t involve hours upon hours of waiting in line.
Well, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) acknowledges this and has announced their new project, Passport on Wheels. It’s a project aimed to decongest the volume of traffic the office gets on a daily basis; in short, instead of going to the office to file or renew your passports, DFA will bring their offices to your area.
Passport on Wheels is only one among the many improvements DFA wishes to implement. In fact, here’s a whole list of them, according to presidential spokesperson Harry Roque:
- Further streamlining the process of passport application
- Improvement in the online appointment system
- Opening of more passports slots to the public – 230,000 additional slots from August to December 2017 through the cancellation of 50,000 bogus appointments, increase capacity of DFA Aseana from 1,900 to 3,300 through the addition of data capturing machines and personnel and removal of 1,200 slots previously reserved for travel agencies
- Opening of additional consular offices outside metro manila
- Deployment of passport on wheels starting January 28 to decongest the consular offices in Metro Manila
- Continue the deployment of weekly mobile passporting services in key locations nationwide and working toawrds the implementation of e-payment system
Strict implementation of the courtesy lane for those entitled to it by law such as senior citizens and one companion, PWDs, children below 7 years old with parents and siblings, and vissibly pregnant women
- Availability of OFW lane for OFWs with sufficient status such as e-DOLE card, valid employment contract, work visa
- Reduction of the automated fingerprint identification system backlog from 33,000 to zero
The project is poised to add to DFA’s number of passports it churns out on the daily by 2,500. There’s a total of 4 Passport on Wheels mobile offices to be deployed throughout Metro Manila.